A. Technical Lead
The Executive Committee of UN-GGIM: Europe acts as the steering group for this global Working Group. The United Kingdom has been appointed by the Executive Committee of UN-GGIM: Europe to lead UN-GGIM: WG Fundamental Data, and reports directly to UN-GGIM: Europe Executive Committee.
C. Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference have been drafted and approved by the UN-GGIM: Europe Executive Committee. The ToRs refer to the Working Group on Global Fundamental Geospatial Data Themes by the shortened title: UNGGIM: WG Fundamental Data.
Following a call by the UN-GGIM Secretariat after UN-GGIM 5 several Member States from all 5 regions expressed interest in being involved in the Working Group. All other UN-GGIM Regional bodies, Working Groups and Expert Groups participate in the Working Group.
E. Planned Activity of the Working Group
The Working Group shall:
- Produce a recommendation for a minimum list of global fundamental geospatial data themes. Each data theme will be supported by a description and short guidelines.
- Take account of existing activity being undertaken by UN-GGIM regional committees ensuring that where possible existing resources are used.
- Consider the prioritisation of the data themes and how they link to other data needs within the UN-GGIM programme of work.
- Consider the specific needs and vulnerabilities of small-island developing States.
- Ensure that the data themes are technical in nature as not to raise political concerns.