The United Nations Global Forum on the Integration of Statistical and Geospatial Information took place in the UN Headquarters in New York from 4-5 August 2014. The Forum was organized by the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), as the Secretariat of the UN Statistical Commission and the UN Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM), and substantively supported by the United Nations Expert Group on the Integration of Statistical and Geospatial Information (UN EG-ISGI).
Convened in accordance with Statistical Commission decision 44/101 and UN-GGIM decision 3/107, which welcomed the proposal to organize an international conference as a way of reaching out and developing best practices bringing together both statistical and geospatial professional communities, the Global Forum brought together senior leaders from both professional communities to discuss the strategic vision and goals for the integration of statistical and geospatial information.
The Global Forum aimed to continue the global consultation and communication on the development of a global statistical-geospatial framework, initiated by the UN Statistical Commission and UN-GGIM, and the work of the Expert Group on the Integration of Statistical and Geospatial Information. It took place in conjunction with the fourth intergovernmental session of the UN Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM), to be held in New York, from 6-8 August 2014.
- Opening and welcome [UN EG-ISGI Chairs]
- Opening Remarks [UNSD Director]
- Programme and other organizational matters [UNSD]
- Professor Nassim Nicholas Taleb – Statistics as a Double-Edge Sword, Presentation
- Ambassador Múnera, Secretary General of the Association of the Caribbean States-Challenges and information needs for the developing world
- Professor Paul Cheung - Using Location Information for Better Planning and Decision Support: Integrating Big Data, Official Statistics and Geospatial information, Presentation