The International Seminar on United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management with the theme "Geospatial Information for Sustainable Development" will provide a platform for the geospatial information management and statistical community together with a diverse group of stakeholders to engage, exchange and discuss with one another appropriate and applicable sciences and knowledge, practices and national experiences, and prioritize issues and actions to collect, collate and integrate the data needed to keep the promise to leave no one behind.
The International Seminar will consider several sub-themes through its sessions that will allow participants to engage, interact and exchange with one another to:
- address the challenges faced in the collection, processing, analysis and dissemination of reliable, timely and accessible geospatial data and earth observations for better evidence-based policymaking and the 2030 Agenda;
- leverage national geospatial information management, its systems and infrastructures and today's geospatial technologies to collate and integrate the data needed to keep the promise to leave no one behind;
to ensure that the contributions of the global geospatial information community to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development remain rigorous and relevant.
The International Seminar allows national, regional and international experts to consider, vis-à-vis, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development:
- Availability and accessibility of data, particularly earth observations time series;
- Means to share, integrate and use traditional and new sources of data and information for sustainable development;
- Disaggregation by geographic location and aggregation of geocoded unit level data;
- Approaches to leverage production-ready earth observation time series for the production of indicators; and
- Collaboration and partnerships with different stakeholder groups with the aim to improve data availability, data flows and global reporting on the SDGs.
The International Seminar on United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management is held in conjunction with the Fifth expert meeting of the Working Group on Geospatial Information of the Inter-agency and Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goals Indicators on 5 and 8 December 2018 at the Tribe Hotel, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya.